Contributor
yamman

DSL 2780 drivers/firmware

Is it possible to revert the router to a previous self?

If so where would I find the software required to do this?

I am sorta clutching at straws to get a previously behaved pc/router to become sensible again and quit stopping at a given time daily. All other ideas have not worked as yet

Thanks
Occasional Contributor
cookp

Re: DSL 2780 drivers/firmware

Hi, you'd think that this would be the most basic of fallback procedures wouldn't you. Almost every other widely available router is likely to have legacy firmware revisions available to download and install in case a more recent version is lacking in functionality or reliability.

But no, TalkTalk's approach to resolving issues with the latest firmware is to offer to ship out a replacement router with the original firmware. If they were to provide a download of the old firmware then customers could revert back themselves, avoid raising an incident with TT support and save TT a whole bunch of costs associated with stocking/shipping replacement kit. Those costs could be ploughed back into developing a better next version of the firmware that fixes all the reported problems.

Perhaps we could gather support for this approach by everyone posting a response agreeing to this suggestion?
Valued Contributor
T_PC_R

Here is the official link for the D-link firmware
Honesty is the best policy why be forced to change,

How can we help those that are unwilling to help themselves
★Desk Jockey★Extended Profile★Basic Profile★Got Potential★Account Verified★Active

Participant ★Feedback Loop
Occasional Contributor
cookp

thanks TPCR

Is that actually published anywhere officially? It would save a lot of grief if it were.
Contributor
yamman

Hi Guys
So I am not the only one who had this issue with firmware:smileyhappy:
Thanks also TCPR for the link, once i get home I will give it a go

It seems that updating isn't always the way to go, recently I allowed microsoft to install IE10, what a joke. All I got was white screen and nothing else apart from the IE logo, uninstalled the update and hey presto IE was fine.

Anyway enough ranting, thanks again for the help

:smileyhappy:
Contributor
yamman

Just a quickie before i commit to changing the firm ware
do I just open the directory then double click on the file within?

Or do I need to do anything else?
Community Star
Fred_Sheehan

It is a binary file, so once you have it just point the router at it from its update page.

As it is official D-Link firmware it will not have the talk talk landing pages, do a back up of your current running config first, otherwise you'll have to re-enter all the details manually after the update.

If you brick it you'll have to replace it yourself of course, flashing D-Link firmware is not supported by talk talk!
Contributor
yamman

ok thanks for that but I am disappointed, though not surprised, that updates are available when they clearly do not seem to do what they are supposed to do.

Why oh why don't compsanies test before they release duff stuff?

So now because of a rubbish update I may have to either live with it or try, at risk, to resolve a problem that should not have occurred in the first place. Just gets my goat as nothing is ever done to stop this from happening in the future:smileysad:
Community Star
jcampy

if you look in the labssection of the forum you will see the firmware was tested and found to be fine

Don't forget to add your phone number to your forum profile

Super Contributor
Nex

Originally Posted by jcampy
if you look in the labssection of the forum you will see the firmware was tested and found to be fine

1 thread blaming the router and 1 thread blaming the computer hmm clutching at straws indeed.

I wonder if the op has tried a different router on there computer or a different computer on there router.
Contributor
yamman

ok gonna give up on this thread and live with it.
Thanks to all who contributed
Contributor
tlise

Originally Posted by Nex
1 thread blaming the router and 1 thread blaming the computer hmm clutching at straws indeed.

I wonder if the op has tried a different router on there computer or a different computer on there router.

I had no problems until it had a forced update, now Hubbys laptop keeps being needed to be manually connected and ipods/iphones don't want to connect. Didn't have a problem before.